Keith Morrison Memorial – Vancouver Island Rugby Referees Society’s Scholarship
Scholarship/s (valued up to $250) shall be awarded to a student enrolled in a full-time program of studies at a bona fide post-secondary institution on Vancouver Island, approved by the Executive. The student must be available to referee for the Vancouver Island Rugby Referee’s Society on Vancouver Island.
Criteria and Eligibility
Candidates must demonstrate:
- a strong interest in rugby refereeing, and the intention to move through the approved World Rugby levels of formal referee certification
- strong athletic achievement
- character and citizenship
- proven leadership within their school and/or post-secondary institution and/or community
- proven valued contribution to their school and/or post-secondary institution rugby program.
Candidates must submit a typed personal letter of application which provides:
- name, age, mailing address, phone number and an e-mail address
- a summary of the intended and/or current post-secondary program of studies
- a summary of involvement with rugby during the secondary and/or post-secondary school years
- a summary of involvement with refereeing and the level of certification (if any) currently held
- a summary of school, post-secondary and/or community service.
Supporting documentation must include:
- a letter from the school principal (or his/her designate) and/or post-secondary program of studies head of department (or his/her designate) certifying character, scholastic achievement and citizenship
- a letter from the school coach and/or club coach and/or member of a referees society who can verify involvement with refereeing and the level of certification (if any) currently held
- a letter from the school coach and/or club coach verifying the leadership, sportsmanship and suitability for this scholarship
- where applicable a letter from a member of the community writing with regard to leadership qualities, character and community involvement
- a transcript of grades showing final percentages for all grade eleven and twelve courses completed and/or interim percentages for all post-secondary courses in progress
- a 2” x 3” (head and shoulders) photo
Each candidate must provide all of the required information, documents and letters in order for his application to be considered. Please note that all letters and supporting documentation become the property of the Vancouver Island Rugby Referee’s Society, and will be confidential to that organization’s Executive and/or designated Scholarship Committee.
Please also note that late applications will not be accepted.
Payment of Scholarship Funds
Full (or in part) redemption of the value of the scholarship must be completed by September 1 four years following High School graduation (see below);
- Payment of up to $125 following completion of the IRB Level 1Refereeing Certification
- Payment of up to $125 following completion of the IRB Level 2 Refereeing Certification
Proof of registration at a post-secondary institution on Vancouver Island must accompany the claim for the first payment, and proof of referee certification at each level must be issued by the BC (or other provincial) Rugby Referees’ Society.
Letters of application, together with all supporting documentation, must reach VIRRS President, Mr. John de Goede via firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline is no later than April 30th of the current BC rugby season September 1st to August 31st.
Donations to this fund can be made to the Canadian Rugby Foundation and addressed to
150-805 Cloverdale Ave
Please make a note on cheque that is directed towards the Keith Morrison scholarship.
A tax receipt will be issued so please include your address.