Call for Nominations: Gerald McGavin Coaching Award 2014
Nominations deadline set for March 21, 2014
VANCOUVER – On behalf of the Canadian Rugby Foundation and BC Rugby premier partner Happy Water, the British Columbia Rugby Union is putting out a call for nominations for two international coach development opportunities.
Funding has been allocated by our partners for the Gerald McGavin Coaching Award and Happy Water Coach Development Experience, providing opportunities for BC coaches to travel to New Zealand for individualized mentoring programs.
The recipient must be currently coaching in the province of British Columbia and be:
1. A Canadian citizen or landed immigrant;
2. Not older than 45 years of age;
3. Committed to the development of the game of rugby in the province.
1. Applications for this award will not be accepted; only nominations will be accepted.
2. Unsuccessful nominated coaches may have nominations submitted on their behalf in future years.
3. Successful nominees may not apply again.
4. The award is conditional upon the recipient continuing his/her coaching career in the province of British Columbia.
5. The award recipient must agree to have his or her name and photograph publicized. He/she must be prepared to promote the award as requested.
1. A coach that is a good mentor and that goes above and beyond his/her role as a coach.
2. A coach that has recognized contributions to the rugby community through coaching and other rugby related work.
1. A letter, not more than 250 words, describing the reasons why the nominated person would be a worthy recipient of the Gerald McGavin Coaching Award. Please include specific reasons why he/she deserves the award;
2. A coaching resume with full contact details as well as a list of accomplishments and contributions to the rugby community, other volunteer activities, current coaching levels and certifications.
Nominations for the 2014 award cycle are due by Friday, March 21, 2014. All information is to be emailed to BC Rugby Provincial Coach and Development Manager Dave Brown (email@example.com). Only the successful recipient will be contacted and a winner will be announced later in February.
About the Gerald McGavin Coaching Award:
The Gerald McGavin Coaching Award is the result of an endowment held with the Canadian Rugby Foundation. The award recognizes rugby coaches from British Columbia who play a significant role in shaping young athletes both on and off the field. Gerald McGavin is a former BC athlete who represented his province against world-renowned sides including the Barbarians, Australia, British Lions and New Zealand Universities. Now a Member of both the Order of Canada and Order of BC, McGavin created the Award because of his love for the sport and to acknowledge the role rugby played in shaping his life. Past recipients include Rameses Langston, Jeff Williams, Martin Jones, Jason Young, Adam Roberts and Tom Larisch.