A fund specifically for the Thunder Aboriginal Youth Rugby Program has been setup, the donation form is attached below.
The Thunder continue to soar, promoting the great game of 7’s rugby to Aboriginal communities in Canada. The Thunder focus on Sevens Rugby, an exciting version of rugby, and is now recognized as an Olympic Sport.
The response to our program from the Aboriginal and rugby community has been fantastic. Our social media Facebook page has become the mecca of all things First Nations rugby!
Goals: The Thunder aims to offer a structured vehicle to promote the game of rugby to Aboriginal communities and to identify potential high performance Aboriginal athletes that could one day represent Canada.
Manager: John Lyall of Kwakwaka’wakw descent, currently VP in SD 62, President of VIRU Rugby
Head Coach: Phil Mack of Toquaht Nation, Canada International rugby player with over 40 international appearances in 7s rugby for Canada and 15 international appearances in XVs rugby
Assistant Coach: Crosby Stewart of Nis’gaa – Gits’xan Nations, UVIc Vike & BC Bear player
Communications / Manager: Mark Bryant editor of BC Rugby News, President on NVIRU rugby
Where to now
- Create a Thunder Rugby Foundation under umbrella of Canadian Rugby Foundation
- Develop a full-time Thunder Rugby Development officer position
- Maintain our relationship with Shawnigan Lake School (three day camp)
- Expand our participation in youth 7s tournaments
- Maintain our relationships with rugby unions such as Vancouver Island, British Columbia and Canada.
- Maintain our programs from of U16 and U18 boys and girls. Explore U14 programs
- Focus our Aboriginal recruitment – how do we attract Aboriginal athletes new to rugby to our program
- Expand our coaching staff and facilitate our coach’s development.
2016 Calendar (keep an eye on webpage and social media for updates)
- February 19: Thunder photo shoot with new X-Treme uniforms, Westhills stadium
- May 8: Annual Thunder fundraiser, Westshore Rugby Club
- May 29: U18 boys and girls @ Langford 7s, Westhills stadium
- June 18: U18 boys and girls @ Vancouver 7s
- July 5-7: Shawnigan Lake School camp
- July 8-9: U16 – U18 boys and girls @ Victoria International 7s, UVic
- September 10-11: U18 boys and girls @ North Shore 7s, Klahanie